Matt Lewis, CNU-A | Cofounder
My hobbies set my destiny of becoming a city planner early in my life. My love for skateboarding, traveling, and photography meant most of my time was spent playing in cool city streets. My love and knowledge of cities guided me to become the Chief City Planner for three of the fastest-growing cities in the nation. I'm excited about the opportunity to share my experience with other city builders across the country as part of our new Collaborative!
Matt is a geographer, urban designer and expert city builder. Matt has extraordinary ability to create nimble, lovely and simple solutions for complex city issues. Matt led the city planning & development services departments in the three fastest growing cities in the United States. From 2004-2016 his leadership guided exploding growth toward sustainable solutions in Austin, San Marcos and Hutto, Texas. Matt’s leadership led to creating more walkable environments, higher quality of life and more money in the general fund in the cities he served. His long term community focused approach helped guide strategic implementation of his ideas. He is a great expediter of bettering the public realm.
Matt earned a degree in Geography with an emphasis in Urban & Regional Planning from Texas State University in 2003. Matt recently received the Distinguished Alumni Award by Texas State University Geography Department, was awarded a national award for one of his tactical urbanism projects and was elected to the National Board of Directors for the Congress of the New Urbanism (CNU). Matt’s approach to redefining our communities has received national awards and recognition.
- Community Stewardship Award: Envision Central Texas, Hutto Downtown Master Plan & SmartCode, October 2008
- Current Plan of the Year Award: Hutto SmartCode, Central Texas APA, July 2009
- Vision San Marcos: Plan of the Year Central Texas APA, July 2013
- Speaker, Texas American Planning Association, 2006-2016
- Speaker, Congress for the New Urbanism National, 2008-2016
- Speaker, SXSW: 100 Places to See Before They Are Gone, March 2009
- Speaker, 100th Annual International City Manager Association Conference, September 2014
- Distinguished Alumni Award, Texas State University, Department of Geography, May 2015
- Awarded Ken Groves Award, Transect Code Council, May 2015
- Awarded CNU National Charter Award, Tactical Urbanism Street Project, May 2015
- Elected to the National CNU Board of Directors, May 2015
- Keynote Speaker: Hill Country Alliance Annual Summit, September2016
- Frequent Lecturer at Universtiy of Texas, Texas State University, and Texas A&M University. 2007-2017