- Charles Marohn's Curbside Chat
- Dudley Street Neighborhood Initiative: a nonprofit, community-run organization based in Roxbury, MA, whose mission is to empower residents to organize, plan for, create and control a vibrant, diverse and high-quality neighborhood in collaboration with community partners.
- Community-wealth.org: an extensive collection of innovative community wealth building strategies being employed across the U.S.
- Oswego Renaissance Association: local organization that provides matching grants and resources to blocks of individuals who want to invest in improving the look of their street, using only small amounts of capital
- 101 Small Ways You Can Improve Your City (Curbed)
- Incremental Development Alliance: a great resource for would-be small developers
- R. John Anderson's blog (rjohnthebad): "plain talk on building and development"
- NACTO Street Design Guides
- CNU/ITE Manual – Design Walkable Urban Thoroughfares: A Context Sensitive Approach
Planning & Assessment tools
- Envision (Institute for Sustainable Infrastructure): a rating system for sustainable infrastructure
- Envision Tomorrow: a suite of urban and regional planning tools
- STAR Communities: a nonprofit organization that works to evaluate, improve, and certify sustainable communities
Online Community Engagement
Organizational & management
- The Acute Heptagram of Impact (Seth Godin): What's holding you and/or your team back? If a project is not working, it's probably because one or more of these seven elements aren't right.
- StrengthsFinder: helps individuals understand their strengths relative to others in their organization; a great tool for leaders in any field
Recommended reading (general)
- Strong Towns
- Engaging Local Government Leaders (ELGL)
- Institute for Local Self-Reliance (ILSR)
- CNU Public Square
- City Observatory